Prohibition of Child Marriage
The Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006 is an act to provide for the prohibition of solemnization of child marriages and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto. Child means a person , if male, has not completed twenty-one years of age and if female, has not completed eighteen years of age.
- As per Sub-Section (1) of Section 16 of the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act 2006(6 of 2007) Et Rule 4(1) of Orissa Prohibition of Child Marriage Rules 2009, the State Government appointed Director, Social Welfare as Chief Child Marriage Prohibition officer vide notification no-16786 at 30.09.09.
- According to Clauses (a) to (g) of Sub-Section (3) of Section 16 of the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act 2006 (6 of 2007) all Child Development Project Officers(CDP0s) as Child Marriage Prohibition Officers vide notification no-16777 dt-30.09.09.
- District Collector is the Nodal Officer at the district level for the purpose of implementation of the Act. He/She shall periodically review the implementation of the Act within the respective district and take all necessary measures for the proper and effective implementation of the Act.
Duties and functions of Child Marriage Prohibition Officer:-
- To act immediately upon any information of the solemnization of any child marriage that may be received through any mode of communication including writing or oral i.e. through a letter, telephone, telegram, e-mail, etc. or by any other means to initiate all necessary action.
- To furnish quarterly return and statistics to the Chief Child Marriage Prohibition Officer in Form I.
- To file petition for annulling a child marriage in the district court, if the petitioner is a minor.
- To file petition before the district court to pay maintenance to the female contracting party of the marriage until her re-marriage.
- To file the petition to the district court for the custody and maintenance of children of the child marriage.