Mahila a Shishu Desk
The Mahila and Shishu desks provide round the clock service to women and children in distress by establishing helpdesks in all the police stations of Odisha to promote a multi-pronged approach for prevention, rescue and rehabilitation. Five hundred thirty-seventh such helpdesks have already been established in Odisha.
The Help Desk acts as a place of respite for the survivors of violence, providing them with the facilities of drinking water, toilet, medical, legal, psycho- social support and to ensure privacy.
The Help Desk must ensure the following issues :-
- Follow the guidelines prescribed relating to arrest and treatment of woman while at the police station to ensure privacy.
- Desk officer to be conversant with the laws in force and judicial pronouncement and guidelines of courts relating to women and children and ensure that they are implemented in letter and spirit.
- Traumatised woman and a juvenile accused of any offence shall be examined and interrogated in a separate room at the police station to ensure privacy.
- Maintain a list of family centres. Short Stay Home, Swadhar Home for woman and child and the telephone number of the functionaries to contact them at the time of need.
- Traumatised woman victims and children may require medical attention for their medico- legal examination and treatment. The desk to maintain a list of lady Doctors available in the police station jurisdiction subdivision and district headquarters for reforming the women and victims.