Odisha State Council for Child Welfare
The Odisha State Council for Child Welfare is working for the cause of children in Odisha since its inception in the year 1959. Registered under the provisions of the Society Registration Act, 1860, it is affiliated to the Indian Council for Child Welfare, New Delhi. In 1996, its bye laws were last amended.
H.E. Honable Governor of Odisha is its Chief Patron and Honable Chief Minister is the Vice Chief Patron. It is functioning under the aegis of Women & Child Development Department with Hon’ble Minister, W&CD as its Chairperson and Commissioner-cum-Secretary, W&CD as its Member Director.
It is supported by the District Councils for Child Welfare at the district level in implementing various projects and programmes of the Govt. of Odisha as well as Govt. of India. In its early years the State Council was the only organization working for the cause of the children. The State Council has implemented several programmes during the year which are narrated in this report in brief.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES (Extracts from OSCCW (Amendment) Rule 1996):
To undertake welfare work for children, adolescents and expected and nourishing mothers without any discrimination.
- To arrange proper education of children for their moral, spiritual, cultural and social development.
- To encourage aesthetic appreciation, artistic taste, constructive imagination and creativity amongst the children.
- To initiate, undertake and promote either directly or indirectly various schemes and projects for furtherance of Child Welfare.
- To organize and maintain institutions for rehabilitation of orphan, abandoned and destitute children and for training of child welfare workers, volunteers and organizers.
- To publish and propagate the literature relating to child welfare.
- To co-operate and/or collaborate with national and international organization having similar objectives and to depute or receive representatives to and from such organization.
- To co-operate with other agencies, both governmental and non-governmental in the organization and administration of schemes and funds for furtherance of child welfare.
- To fulfill the objectives and implement the policies and programmes of the Indian Council for Child Welfare